Credit by Examination
Proficiency Based Promotion
Proficiency assessments for purposes of providing "credit by examination" refer to assessments administered for the the purpose of providing course credit for a student who demonstrates mastery of a set of competencies through examination in lieu of completion of Carnegie units.
Insight School of Oklahoma (ISOK) provides optional Credit by Examination assessments to maximize academic growth opportunities for students in grades 6 -12. Credit through examination allows students the opportunity to accelerate their educational track by demonstrating proficiency in one or more curriculum areas.
Credit by Examination assessments are offered twice annually to all students enrolled with ISOK. Requests for assessments may be initiated by a student, parent/guardian, or the student's teacher. Families should carefully consider the social, emotional, and academic impact of attempting Credit by Examination assessments for each individual student. Parents/Guardians are encouraged to confer with teachers and other school staff to discuss those impacts.
Credit by Examination assessments follow Oklahoma Academic Standards by grade level and course.
6th through 8th Grades
Students wishing to earn full grade promotion must demonstrate proficiency by scoring at or above a 80% on each of four assessments; Math, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies.
9th through 12th Grades
Students wishing to earn high school credit must demonstrate proficiency by scoring at or above 80% for the tested subject area. Credit earned through examination will be recorded on a student’s transcript. Unsuccessful attempts will not be recorded.
- Proficiency-based Credit by Examination assessments are not diagnostic tools.
- Assessments are intended to be rigorous and demanding at a grade level above the level your child has already completed.
- Assessments take approximately 1 to 1 ½ hours per subject area.
- Language Arts tests include multiple-choice sections and may include writing sections as well. (Requirements are determined by grade level)
- No assistance may be given during test sessions.
- Parents/Guardians should visit with their student’s teacher or school counselor about the appropriateness and the projected outcomes prior to requesting credit by examination assessments.
Request Credit by Examination
School Year 2020-2021 Credit by Examination Windows
Individual schedules determined by grade level and interest.
July 27, 2020 - July 31, 2020: Request deadline - July 22, 2020
May 31, 2021 - June 4, 2021: Request deadline - May 17, 2021
To request credit by examination please complete this Request for Credit by Examination Form